The City has been notified that portions of Lafayette are on the list for a possible rolling electrical outage tonight due to heavy statewide electricity usage. Although we don’t know the exact boundaries of the outage, customers in Lafayette could be effected from 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm.
If statewide electricity usage is reduced and does not exceed the amount of electricity that is available, the rolling outages will be cancelled, as has occurred the last two nights when usage was reduced. This reduction was a result of individual homeowners and businesses doing their part to conserve power. We need to do it again!
Here are some ideas how you can reduce your power usage and help prevent rolling outages:
- Set your thermostat to 78 degrees or higher. Use fans to circulate air in your home.
- Turn off lights that are not needed.
- Do not use large appliances (washers, dryers, dishwashers) or devices that use a lot of power during peak periods (3:00 pm – 10:00 pm).
- Do not run pool equipment during peak periods.
- Turn off and unplug electronics that are not being used.
- Use blinds, shades or curtains to block direct sunlight from shining into your house and warming it.
This is not a complete list, but if we all work together to save energy, it can make a big difference and reduce the possibility of a rolling power outage for the City and other communities.
For more information about how to save energy or questions about the rolling outages or your electrical utility, please go to www.pge.com.