Lafayette’s General Plan Advisory Committee
You’ve studied up and now it’s time to speak up: The General Plan Advisory Committee (GPAC) is winding down its informational phase of the Housing Element update and is moving into the public input period. The GPAC is hosting four community workshops to gather input on how our community should plan for housing. Each session will be a deep dive into different aspects of what goes into the Housing Element and the workshops will be an opportunity to connect with other community members on the topic of housing.
Workshops will be held over Remo, a flexible online conference platform that will allow attendees to use a variety of tools to help the conversation. A practice session to all participants to become familiar with the platform before the workshops will be held Thursday, April 15th at 6PM. Use this link to sign up for the training and access the meeting. There are additional resources and information on www.PlanLafayette.org. Use these links to sign up for one or all of the workshops: Workshop 1 – Cultivating Connection, Workshop 2 – Identifying the Issues, Workshop 3 – Solution Generation, and Workshop 4 – Site Identification.
Unable to attend the workshops but want other ways to give your input?
Whether or not you can make it to all or some of the workshops, there are many avenues to send your ideas, concerns, and feedback to the General Plan Advisory Committee and we need to hear from you!
- Attend a General Plan Advisory Committee meeting – meetings are held bimonthly on the first and third Tuesday of the month. Sign up for e-notifications for the “General Plan” to be notified about GPAC meetings and other General Plan/Housing Element events. A list of future and past meetings can be found on the “Get Involved” page of PlanLafayette.org, the General Plan website.
- Visit EngagementHQ – EngagementHQ is the hub for online engagement for the City’s General Plan Update and hosts a number of activities for you to get involved in the conversation. Input and ideas received from EngagementHQ will be used by the GPAC to inform its final recommendations to the Planning Commission and City Council of what goals, programs, and policies should go into the Housing Element. There will be more activities added over the coming weeks to gather feedback, so be sure to check the page or subscribe to the City’s Weekly Round Up newsletter through the e-notification system.
Click the links below to visit different activities on EngagementHQ:
- Mapping Activity – “What do you love about Lafayette?”
- Forum – “What aspects of Lafayette do you value?”
- Q&A – ask your question, big or small!
- Stories – tell us your story on how housing has played into your experience in Lafayette
- Survey/Quiz – Test your housing knowledge
- Register for EngagementHQ to participate in all activities
3. Write the GPAC – public comments written in to email@example.com are shared with all committee members and serve as one of the key components of public input.
Missed Housing Element 101?
The GPAC held six introductory sessions for members of the public to get up to speed on the Housing Element update process and provide one of many chances to ask questions. Brochures announcing this learning opportunity were mailed to every household in Lafayette ahead of the meetings. Sessions were held for four geographic districts (Burton Valley, Acalanes Valley & Happy Valley, Reliez Valley, and Downtown) as well as special sessions for community organizations and youth.
- An overview video explaining the Housing Element update requirements and timeline was shown during each session and is available on the City’s Youtube page here: https://youtu.be/q22ra_RZ8cs.
- Recordings of each Housing Element 101 webinar are available at this link.
- Visit PlanLafayette.org for answers to frequently asked questions, find materials and recordings from past meetings, access resources with more in-depth information, review existing documents, and more!
Have a Vision for Lafayette? The City is Updating its Housing Element and We Need to Hear from You
The Housing Element is an opportunity to define Lafayette’s values and establish a vision for the future and you are a critical part in creating that vision. The Housing Element is a key component of the General Plan that will shape how Lafayette looks and feels moving forward. Your participation is essential to create a plan that represents the community’s values and meets the city’s housing goals. The General Plan Advisory Committee (GPAC) will integrate community feedback into a General Plan document that also satisfies state law requirements.
The Housing Element is one piece of the General Plan, which is the long-term blueprint for the future of Lafayette. To learn more about the General Plan update, use this link to watch a video on what the General Plan is and how it might affect you: www.bit.ly/2O82KOF.
How can you get involved? There are many ways to get involved, including attending public meetings, talking to your neighbors, completing online surveys, and writing in your ideas. Because this is a big undertaking, it requires many steps to get to a final document that reflects the community’s interests. Here are a few ideas:
➡ Study up: You wouldn’t take a test without studying, right? This is where we lay the groundwork to inform decisions down the road.
➡ Circle up: You will have opportunities to talk with your neighbors and connect about your ideas. Check the General Plan website for updates on a community workshop the week of March 22nd.
➡ Speak up: You need to give your two cents to make sure the Housing Element includes everyone’s perspective for a strong plan that translates values into actions. Much of this will be through EngagementHQ, the hub for community input.
Housing Element 101 Meeting Information
All sessions will be held over Zoom Webinar. Visit PlanLafayette.org to register and receive log in information. Registration is Required. Write in questions ahead of time to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Burton Valley – Thursday, February 18th at 6PM
Downtown – Thursday, February 25th at 6PM
Special Session for Community Organizations – Wednesday, March 3rd at 6PM
Special Session for Youth – Thursday, March 4th at 6PM
Acalanes Valley & Happy Valley – Thursday, March 11th at 6PM
Reliez Valley – Thursday, March 18th at 6PM
The General Plan website is regularly updated with meeting information and project updates. Visit PlanLafayette.org to find activities, information on housing, materials from past meetings, and details on future meetings.
Visit the City’s online activity hub EngagementHQ to see new activities. EngagementHQ will be regularly updated with new activities like quizzes, surveys, forums, and mapping prompts to explore each General Plan element! Check out the Housing Element and General Plan pages to get more information and start getting your ideas out there.
ADDITIONAL BLOG ARTICLES
Housing is Key If you're a landlord or income eligible renter in California, have been financially impacted by COVID-19, and need help paying rent or utilities, the CA COVID-19 Rent Relief program may be able to help. To check eligibility and apply, or to find an...
Small Business Employer Covid-19 Resources 10 Things to Know About Managing Employees in CA Webinar Presented by NorCal SBDC on April 13, 2021. View a recording here: https://zoom.asksbdc.com/Top10ThingstoKnowaboutManagingEmployees SBDC 2021 Top 10...
Contra Costa County Residents Ages 16+ Can Now Book Vaccine Appointments at the Oakland Coliseum Posted Saturday, April 10, 2021 >> Contra Costa residents ages 16 and older can now book appointments at the Oakland Coliseum at myturn.ca.gov or by calling...
FREE guidance on how to apply for COVID-19 relief funding The City of Lafayette is proud to offer our Small Business Assistance Program to all small businesses within our community. We are holding small business assistance webinars every Thursday afternoon @ 4pm to...
Congratulations to East Bay Times Best in East Bay 2021 Winners! Reader's Choice Awards Best Outdoor Event/Festival (Runner Up): Lafayette Art and Wine FestivalBest French Food: Reve Bistro, Lafayette Best Hair Salon (Runner Up): Primp Salon Lafayette Best Real...