Small Business Employer Covid-19 Resources
Understanding the new rules for COVID -19
Posted June 12 by Jay Lifson
As an employer, you have followed the State and County guidelines and health orders. On Tuesday, June 15, the entire system we have been following for the last 10 months (the California 4-Tier, color-coded reopening framework) will be shelved. California will open up to pre-pandemic status. With a few exceptions of course. The challenge health officials have had is nothing less than colossal. With that said the direction or often mis-direction from authorities made navigating the changes nearly impossible to follow.
On Thursday, May 13, 2021 the CDC dropped the mask rules for those who were fully vaccinated. Yet it took 4 days for the State of California to respond with, NOT SO FAST. Unless you are following this day to day, most people had no idea that the County and State override the CDC guidelines. Mask mandates have remained, and will until June 15. Now businesses have something else to worry about. Cal/OSHA (The Division of Occupational Safety and Health) has been vacillating over workplace standards after June 15.
Here is where we are now…
Cal/OSHA released their new rules (Standards Title 8, Division 1, Chapter 4, Subchapter 7. General Industry Safety Orders, section 3205), that would guide workplace orders post June 15. The order was so out of touch with science and completely unacceptable to most people, Governor Newsome asked OSHA to walk the order back. The main complaint had all employees wearing masks if only one employee was not vaccinated. On June 9, the board decided to withdraw revisions to the Emergency Temporary Standards. On Friday, June 11, the OSHA board released revisions to the safety orders. OSHA plans to pass the new standards on Thursday, June 17, two days after California drops the tier system. If amended, they will not go into effect until June 28.
What you need to know…
- Until June 28, employees are still required to wear masks
- After June 28, anyone who has not been vaccinated or can not be vaccinated must still wear masks indoors, which includes children 2-12 years old.
- Outdoors un-vaccinated persons will still need to practice social distancing and must wear a mask if they are within 6’ of others.
- Employers must verify and document the vaccination status of vaccinated employees if they chose not to wear a mask
- The honor system is OK to use for your customers
- You can still require your customers to wear a mask when they are in your business
- You can not ask someone to take off their mask
Protect yourself and your business
Please take the time to read through the revised Safety Orders https://www.dir.ca.gov/oshsb/documents/Jun172021-COVID-19-Prevention-Emergency-txtcourtesy-Readoption.pdf
There is a number of steps that you as an employer will need to follow. They include prevention plans, workplace conduct, procedures to investigate workplace COVID-19 cases and policies for correcting unsafe conditions.
We find ourselves in the “Red Zone” (inside the 20 yard line) for the first time since the pandemic began. Please do not let your guard down. Your employees are counting on it. Your customers are trusting you. And your community wants to enjoy life as we knew it, before our public safety was decimated.
Jay Lifson, Executive Director, Lafayette Chamber
Contra Costa begins new mobile COVID-19 vaccine service next week
Posted June 12, 2021, Contra Costa Health Services
* Businesses and community organizations can now request visits from Contra Costa Health Services’ (CCHS) mobile COVID-19 vaccination van to workplaces, community centers and other locations where five or more members of a group want to receive vaccine.
* The free mobile vaccination service begins Monday June 14. Any business or organization can request a mobile vaccination clinic using an online form at https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=3tkgKC3cY0OGJvKwA0OMRS41XWRGeRJBtHJgApNLJo1UMU0xQzA3M0E3RUVIRk8zOEdSR0o2UzNHUi4u if they are in the county and CCHS will send a mobile health van to provide free vaccinations on site within one week after completing the request.
* This service operates weekdays from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. and will only travel to locations within the county, though they will vaccinate anyone eligible regardless of where they live.
* There is no cap on the number of people who can be vaccinated during a visit.
* The state’s pandemic health orders will sunset on June 15, allowing fully vaccinated people to visit businesses and enjoy communal activities without the need for face masks or physical distancing. Visit the CCHS Beyond the Blueprint page https://www.coronavirus.cchealth.org/beyond-the-blueprint for details.
* But the health guidelines for people who are not vaccinated will remain largely unchanged – now is a great time to consider a safe, effective COVID-19 vaccine if you have not already gotten one.
10 Things to Know About Managing Employees in CA
Webinar Presented by NorCal SBDC on April 13, 2021. View a recording here: https://zoom.asksbdc.com/Top10ThingstoKnowaboutManagingEmployees
No-Cost HR Services
Can my boss make me get a COVID-19 vaccine? The answer is complicated – East Bay Times
Feb. 14, 2021, Read article >>
The CDC’s new COVID-19 Vaccination Communication Toolkit for Essential Workers is designed to help build confidence in COVID-19 vaccines. Use these resources to educate your employees about COVID-19 vaccines, raise awareness about the benefits of vaccination, and address common questions and concerns. It will take all of our tools to protect our essential workers against COVID-19.
ADDITIONAL BLOG ARTICLES
Lafayette Art & Wine Festival 2023 ROAD CLOSURES Downtown Road Detours Starting on Friday, September 22, 2023: If you live, work or plan to travel through downtown next weekend, be advised of temporary road closures and detours in the heart of our downtown core...
Lafayette Art & Wine Festival Saturday, September 23 & Sunday, September 24, 2023 4 Stages, 20+ bands, 250 Art / Craft Booths, 4 Kid ZonesFree Admission. Take BART to the Festival! #sfbartable VIEW LAFAYETTE ART & WINE FESTIVAL WEBSITE CONNECT ON SOCIAL...
Lafayette Businesses Are Invited to Participate in the New Experience Lafayette Website Online form Contact for Questions: Thomas Myers City’s website: https://www.lovelafayette.org/city-hall/lafayette-strong/experience-lafayette Restaurants, retail shops and...
Rock the Plaza FREE LIVE Concert SeriesFRIDAY, JUNE 2, 2023 AT 6 PM – 8 PMRock the Plaza with Sausalito SAUSALITO plays 70s & 80s SOFT ROCK / R&B / SOULFriday, June 2, 2023, 6pm-8pm, Lafayette Plaza Park (corner of Mt. Diablo Blvd. and Moraga Road, Lafayette,...
Summer Camps, Schools & Kids' Activities! Time to sign up for summer! Check out opportunities from these follow Lafayette Chamber members: View the Lamorinda Weekly Summer Camp Issue! Bay Area Ballplayers California Shakespeare Theater Cooking With Kids...