Thank you for your participation!
From the Food Bank of Contra Costa and Solano
Huge shout out to the Lafayette Chamber for organizing their #BeKind21 food drive for the 3rd year in a row!
The Born This Way Foundation hosts #BeKind21 annually, which calls on participants to practice an act of kindness each day from September 1st to September 21st with the mission of building kinder, more connected communities that foster mental wellness.
With the help of Primp Salon Lafayette, Lafayette Library and Learning Center Foundation, Bel & Bunna’s Books, Lamorinda Music, Maya Smith, Starbucks, Burton Valley Elementary, Happy Valley Elementary, Springhill Elementary, Lafayette Elementary, Lafayette Recreation, and Reasonable Books, they collected over 650 pounds of food for those in need!
Post Date: 09/01/2022 2:03 PM City of Lafayette
The Lafayette City Council has proclaimed the days of September 1 to September 21, 2022, as “BeKind21” in the City of Lafayette. Together with the Lafayette Chamber of Commerce, Lafayette Library & Learning Center Foundation, Lafayette Partners in Education, Lafayette School District, Peter Pan Foundation and Lafayette Social, the City of Lafayette are once again partnering with Born This Way Foundation to practice 21 days of being kind to themselves and each other.
We invite everyone to participate in the challenge by being kind to their neighbors, friends, family members, fellow residents, themselves, and their community. It’s easy to participate:
- Take @btwfoundation’s #BeKind21 pledge to build a habit of kindness by doing something kind for yourself and others every day for 21 days this September.
- Read our 21 examples of sharing kindness that the City has developed for the challenge. (Feel free to download and share this flyer!)
- Make a contribution to the Food Bank of Contra Costa and Solano during the Lafayette Chamber’s food drive in support of BeKind21. Drop off your donation of non-perishable food at the Main City Offices or other donation locations around town (list coming soon!).
We’d love to hear from you! What does kindness look like to you? How will you share your 21 days of kind actions? Let us know your thoughts on #BeKind21 by emailing the City of Lafayette at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also reach us on social media using the tag @lovelafayette on Facebook or Instagram. Please put “#BeKind21” in the email subject line or in your social media post.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: September 4, 2022
BE KIND 21 FOOD DRIVE
Monday, September 5 – Wednesday, September 21, 2022
Pledge To #Bekind21 – make kindness a habit https://bornthisway.foundation/
The City of Lafayette, Lafayette Chamber and the Lafayette School District, are partnering with Born This Way Foundation for the fifth year to practice 21 days of being KIND to each other. In addition to our 21 examples of sharing kindness we built a community exercise to collect food for the Contra Costa County Food Bank.
Born This Way looks forward, toward a future that supports the wellness of young people through an evidence-based approach that is fiercely kind, compassionate, accepting, and inclusive. We celebrate the individuality of those we serve and we revere the bravery it takes to reach out and start the conversation. Together, we’re building a community that provides approachable resources, fosters genuine connection, and drives action.
The Food Drive will begin on Monday, September 5 and end on September 21. With the support of your friends and family, the money you raise will provide food to the 1 in 9 local residents that turn to the Food Bank for help.
Locations of Food Drive Drop Off Points:
- Lafayette Elementary School
- Burton Valley Elementary School
- Happy Valley Elementary School
- Springhill Elementary School
- Stanley Middle School
- Lafayette Library & Learning Center
- Lafayette Car Wash & Detail Center
- Lafayette Chamber of Commerce
- Lamorinda Music
- Lafayette Community Center
- Bel & Bunna’s Books
- Reasonable Books
- Primp Salon
Which is better to donate – food or money?
Both food and funds are important in the work to end hunger.
- Use a credit card over the phone by calling 855-309-FOOD
- Mail a check to Food Bank of Contra Costa and Solano, 4010 Nelson Ave., Concord, CA 94520
- Email us at email@example.com
Is there anything I should NOT donate?
Please do not donate glass containers, open or partially-used products, alcohol, or foods more than 1 year past their “best-by” date. Please do not put cash or checks in the collection bins. Please give money to Food Bank staff or mail checks.
When thinking about what food to donate, we always suggest to pick out healthy, nonperishable food you would like to eat if you were hungry. Some of our most-needed foods are listed below as a guide.
- Natural Peanut Butter
- Whole Grain Cereals
- Hearty Low Sodium Soups
- Beans and Lentils (dry or canned)
- Canned Tuna and Chicken in Water
- Canned Fruit in Juice
- Nonperishable Low Sodium Ready
- to Eat Meals (chili, ravioli, etc.)
- Low Sodium Canned Vegetables
- Brown Rice
- Whole Wheat/Grain Pasta
- Canned Tomato Products
Make this one of the random acts of kindness you do during these 21 days of “Being Kind.”
Jay Lifson, Executive Director
Lafayette Chamber of Commerce
251 Lafayette Circle, Ste 150
Lafayette, CA 94549