The Lafayette City Council joined the #BeKind21 campaign at its August 12th meeting. Lady Gaga’s “Born This Way Foundation” launched its second annual 21 Days to Be Kind Challenge. A list of 21 suggestions on how to model and share kindness was presented to the community and all our schools adopted the challenge as well.
This program was shared at the Chamber’s September Board Meeting and the Board of Directors unanimously voted to support the spirit of “Being Kind to Everyone.”
The 21 days will culminate with the annual Lafayette Art & Wine Festival. This “End of the Summer Party” is the perfect place to practice kindness. The festival is home to nearly 500 volunteers and offers an opportunity to welcome visitors to our community.
“The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.” Mahatma Gandhi
Why should we be kind?
- Your words have power. Start with KIND words, it will lift you and others around you UP.
- Kindness has a way of bouncing right back to you. So goes being mean. You can change the mood of everyone around you by your actions
- Doors Open to people that are kind. Doors get shut to people that are not kind.
How does kindness help your health? This from www.randomactsofkindness.org:
Witnessing acts of kindness produces oxytocin, occasionally referred to as the ‘love hormone’ which aids in lowering blood pressure and improving our overall heart-health. Oxytocin also
increases our self-esteem and optimism, which is extra helpful when we’re in anxious or shy in a social situation.
Kindness in the workplace
- Leave surprise treats for colleagues
- Lend a listening ear to a colleague that needs to talk
- Say thank you to the janitor
- Write your boss or co-worker a thank you note
- Leave cookies at the coffee station
- Bring flowers to the office
- Express gratitude for a co-worker
- Dedicate a donation to a co-worker
- Buy a coffee or a treat for a co-worker
- Leave money in the vending machine
- Organize a volunteer activity
And how about catching your employees doing something right, rather than something wrong.
Join us and help spread KINDNESS. And how we could use a little Kindness now. Collectively we can change the world!